What is an internship?
- An internship is a work experience that is relevant to a student’s chosen major.
- It has the duration of approximately 15 weeks and at the conclusion of the internship the student will receive 3 hours of academic credit towards his or her degree.
Why should my business participate in the internship program?
- Internships give students the opportunity to explore careers in their chosen major, network with potential employers, and learn about jobs that are available.
- The employer also benefits from the internship by:
- Building your potential employee pool
- Receiving additional staff assistance during peak times/special projects
- Providing supervision experience for future managers in your company
- Mentoring a student
How long is the internship experience?
- Internships can begin at any time but usually correspond to the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- A student must spend a minimum of 150 hours on the jobsite to obtain the 3 hours of academic credit for the internship together with meeting all the other course requirements.
- However, if the student’s schedule permits and the business agrees, the student may put in additional hours beyond the minimum requirement.
Should the internship be paid?
- Although the primary purpose of the internship program is to give a student relevant business experience in his or her chosen field, compensation during the internship experience is certainly an incentive.
- Monetary compensation also helps to create the atmosphere of employment.
- To date, most of the internship opportunities partnered with the internship program have provided compensation ranging from a stipend to help pay for the tuition cost of the internship to $9.00 per hour or more.
What is expected of me if I participate in the internship program?
- The internship program expects each employer to provide meaningful duties for the student to perform that would enhance the student’s understanding of his or her career area.