What is an internship?
- An internship is a work experience relevant to your chosen major.
- It has the duration of one semester and at successful conclusion of the internship, you will receive 3 hours of academic credit towards your degree.
Why should I participate in an internship?
- Although you will be obtaining a valuable degree from Midwestern State University, experience will give you a competitive edge in finding a job in your chosen field. It is a must to have relevant work experience before you graduate.
- Internships give you the opportunity to network with quality employers in the local community and beyond.
- An internship helps build your resume by providing learning experience potential employers demand.
Will the 3 hours of academic credit apply to my degree plan for graduation?
- Most degree plans in the Dillard College of Business provide for one internship opportunity to apply toward your required hours for graduation.
- In some instances, you may be allowed an additional internship (3 academic hours) that would fulfill your required hours for graduation.
Will I get paid for the internship?
- Although the primary purpose of the internship program is to give a student relevant business experience in his or her chosen field, compensation during the internship experience is certainly an incentive.
- Most of the internship opportunities provided in the internship program offer some pay.
How long is the internship experience?
- Internships can commence at any time but usually correspond to the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- You must spend a minimum of 150 hours on the jobsite to obtain the 3 hours of academic credit for the internship together with meeting all the other course requirements.
- However, if the student’s schedule permits and the business agrees, you may put in additional hours beyond the minimum requirement.
What if I don’t have a resume?
- The DCOBA Academic Advising Center located in DCOBA on the 2nd Floor, will provide assistance to students in developing and/or updating a resume for DCOBA academic internships only.