The Center for Continuing Education
Midwestern State University
•Advanced Personal Fitness Trainer
*Available May 2007
This interactive, comprehensive Web-based Professional Advanced Certificate in Personal Fitness Training (PFT) is a collaboration between industry experts, internship affiliates, national organizations, Educational Fitness Solutions, and their board of advisors. The Advanced Certificate is designed for students interested in furthering their personal training education by incorporating specialized resistance training, functional movements, and nutritional programs for their clients in partnership with Registered Dietitians. This course includes the basic Personal Fitness Trainer program (also offered separately), along with additional material on nutritional management, resistance biomechanics, and functional flexibility. Content and curriculum within each course in the program is designed to present the student with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to implement a unique medically-based fitness model for their future or current clients. Students will learn how to apply their client’s health history, goals, and abilities integrating exercise science curriculum and practical training techniques into a systematic model that teaches students to progress their clients through different training levels and phases. Students will also have the unique opportunity to receive an onsite practical experience in personal training with an optional field internship elective course. The program is offered in partnership with the American Council on Exercise® (ACE), allowing graduating certificate students a preferred discount on the ACE Personal Training Certification Exam and study materials. In addition, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), the credentialing agency for the American Dietetic Association (ADA) has approved the Certificate in Personal Training program for 150 Continuing Professional Education Units (CPEUs), the Advanced Certificate program for 90 CPEUs, and the Optional Field Internship Course for 60 CPEUs for both Registered Dietitian (RDs) and Dietetic Technician-Registered (DTRs).
This certificate program includes:
• Personal Fitness Training career path development or advanced education for current health/fitness/medical professionals
• Advanced education in exercise prescription and nutritional programming
• Study of the exercise sciences, kinesiology, and biomechanics
• A medically-based fitness model
• Knowledge of business administration and management systems in fitness
• Conduct health and fitness testing techniques
• Understand the ACSM screening processes
• Analyze exercise movements and performance
• Develop exercise prescriptions for all age groups
• Optional Field Internship Course: Students that enter the program may complete an optional internship course that is 6 weeks/60 hours in length.
• Guidance, instruction, and interaction from instructors that hold either a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in exercise science, biomechanics, exercise physiology, kinesiology, physical therapy, nutrition or an exercise science-related degree.
• The program is offered in partnership with the American Council on Exercise® (ACE). Graduates of the Certificate Program will receive a preferred discount of 20% to take the ACE Certified Personal Trainer® Certification Exam (an NCCA accredited exam) and on study materials.
For more information call Midwestern State University’s
Center for Continuing Education at (940) 397-4756