If requested, students/parents MUST submit an IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT to the MSU Financial Aid Office -- copies of signed tax returns will no longer be accepted UNLESS a foreign tax return has been filed or identity theft has occurred.
- To request a FREE copy of you/spouse/parent IRS Tax RETURN TRANSCRIPT, note these options:
- 'Get Transcript by Mail' – www.irs.gov (5-10 calendar days)
- By phone – 1-800-908-9946 (5-10 calendar days)
- By mail – IRS Form 4506T (up to 10 calendar days)
- IRS2Go – mobile app (5-10 calendar days)
(Be sure to request a RETURN TRANSCRIPT, not Account Transcript).
- For taxpayers who filed an AMENDED IRS Income Tax Return, please provide both of the following:
- An IRS Tax Return Transcript (which does not have to be signed), or acceptable IRS alternative, such as a Record of Account Transcript, a Return Transcript for Taxpayer (RTFTP), or an Information Returns Processing Transcript Request—Wages (IRPTR-W); and
- A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS
- If a student/parent reports income-earned-from-work but did NOT file a tax return, student/parent must submit W2’s to the MSU Financial Aid Office to document the income earned from work.