Tuesdays, Thursdays 3:00-4:20 pm
The purpose of this two semester course is to provide the student with an overview of human anatomy and physiology. The lecture will focus on vocabulary and the principles of physiology; the laboratory will focus on anatomy. Both structure and function will be emphasized. Concurrent laboratory participation with animal dissection is REQUIRED. In order to take this second semester of the two-semester sequence, students are REQUIRED to have completed Anatomy & Physiology I with a C or better. Upon completion of this second semester of the sequence, students should be able to understand the organization, regulation, and function of the human body at the molecular, cellular, tissue, and organ system levels. The human body is a highly complex and integrated entity and understanding it requires commitment and diligent study on the part of the student.
Attendance of lecture with full participation in quizzes and exams.
Attendance of weekly laboratory sections with full participation in all aspects of the lab.
Lecture and lab both contribute to your final grade in BIOL1234. Lecture grades will be composed of two midterms, a final, and quizzes, and will represent 75% of your final grade. Lab will contribute the remaining 25% of your final grade. To do well in this course it is absolutely essential that you perform well in the lecture – ALL EXAMS AND QUIZZES COUNT TOWARDS YOUR FINAL GRADE. No scores will be dropped. Each midterm will be worth 20% of your grade, the quizzes 10%, and the final exam 50% of the 75% lecture total. The final exam is CUMULATIVE. There will be no extra credit assignments or bonuses other than what can be earned through quizzes for this course. It is the student’s responsibility to begin preparing for exams from the very first day of class as this is the only way to achieve top grades in the course.
There are no make-ups in the lecture portion of this course for missed quizzes. If you miss a quiz, you miss it and attendance points for that day – no exceptions. There are no make-ups in the lecture portion of this course for missed midterm exams. If you have an excusable absence for the day of the exam, AND you notified the instructor prior to the start time of the exam, then the part of the cumulative final that covers the missed midterm will be counted towards the missed exam as well as towards the final exam score (essentially, that part of the final will be counted twice). If you have an unexcused absence OR you fail to notify the instructor prior to missing the exam, then you receive a zero for the missed exam. There are absolutely no make-ups for the final exam for any reason. Nor will any exam be moved because of a congested exam schedule (midterm or final).
“Students are expected to attend all meetings of the classes in which they are enrolled. Although in general students are graded on intellectual effort and performance rather than attendance, absences may lower the student’s grade where class attendance and class participation are deemed essential by the faculty member. In those classes where attendance is considered as part of the grade, the instructor should so inform students of the specifics in writing at the beginning of the semester in a syllabus or separate attendance policy statement. An instructor who has an attendance policy must keep records on a daily basis. The instructor must give the student a verbal or written warning prior to being dropped from the class. Instructor’s records will stand as evidence of absences. A student with excessive absences may be dropped from a course by an instructor. Any individual faculty member or college has the authority to establish an attendance policy, providing the policy is in accordance with the General University Policies.” [MSU Student Handbook, p. 39]
Absences will be excused for:
Laboratory attendance is REQUIRED. Unexcused absences for the laboratory midterm or final exams, or more than two (2) unexcused absences for laboratory sessions, will result in a final grade of “F” for the course.
CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS AND POLICIES
The first 5 minutes of every lecture (excluding exam days) will be given over to a daily quiz. For this, you need to purchase a package of 3x5 index cards – they can be any color.
Quizzes will be used to take attendance and will be counted towards your overall quiz score for lecture. Over the course of the semester each student must earn a minimum of 50 points to receive full credit for the quiz portion of the course. Extra points earned over the minimum 50 points will be counted as extra credit on exams. No other form of extra credit will be given in the course.