Evidence-based practices validated for specific characteristics of learners and settings
Best practices in research-based assessment
Resources and methods that address student learning, rates, and learning styles
Policy and research implications that promote recommended practices in assessment
Identify and use the research literature to resolve issues of professional practice
Evaluate and modify instructional practices in response to ongoing assessment data
Use educational research to improve instruction, intervention strategies, and curricular materials
Evaluate assessment techniques based on learning theories
Design and implement research activities to examine the effectiveness of instructional practices
Expectations: This purpose of this course is for you to review and synthesize the professional literature where you research, synthesize, and evaluate a program, problem, or practice. In addition to a 15-20 page professional paper (exclusive of reference section), you will create a teacher-
friendly practice guide or high quality training. The professional paper will contain the following elements.
1. Clear, articulate statement of problem, program, or practice in the introduction section
2. A thorough rationale on why this topic is important and relevant.
3. This should contain mainly primary sources, although quality secondary sources can be used as well. Follow the guidelines on the attached handout (scoring guidelines).
Conclusion and Recommendations
4. A strong summary paragraph (s) should be included which includes an evaluation of the literature pertinent to your topic.
5. Recommendations for practice are included.
The following scale will be used.
A=95% of all Points
B=91% of all Points
C= 88% of all Points
D=80% of all Points
F=anything below 80%