1. Analyze theories of management/leadership in professional nursing practice.
2. Utilize the components of the problem solving and decision making process.
3. Examine principles of change theory, motivation, and creativity in relation to organization and management in nursing.
4. Experience the dynamics of group process.
5. Demonstrate responsibility in self direction.
6. Describe cost containment methods and the budgeting role of the manager.
7. Analyze selected situations and select performance evaluation procedures.
8. Examine legal, social and ethical trends which impact the organization and the delivery of care.
9. Identify research findings applicable to leadership/management situations.
Co-requisite: NURS 4313
Course Requirements will consist of the following:
1. Quizzes (2)
These can be found under the "Assessment" heading of WebCT.
2. WebCT Discussions (2)
There are 2 threaded discussions that will be posted to the WebCT discussion board.
3. Written Assignments (2)
These include (1) nurse interview (2) evidence based practice paper.
These are located under the "Assignment" heading of WebCT.
Learning experiences will include group discussion on WebCT, assigned and independent readings, and web-based research with resources.
90-100 = A
80-89 = B
74-79 = C
65-73 = D
64 and below = F
Quizzes will be submitted electronically via WebCT.
Discussions will be sent electronically via WebCT.
All papers will be submitted electronically as attachments via WebCT with adherence to APA format as requested.
Students are encouraged to adhere to assignment due dates as posted on WebCT calendar.
Course taught online.
Note: All clinical components of the course must be completed with a grade of PASS to complete the course. The course requires a total of 135 clinical hours to pass the course.
Clinical performance: A final grade of 74% plus a PASS for clinical components with all required clinical hours completed are essential to pass this course. Both clinical and online requirements must be satisfactorily completed in order to pass the course.