Course Objectives: Participants in this course will have the opportunity to:
1. Differentiate theory, model, framework and philosophy
2. Analyze practice through the lens of selected organizing frameworks
3. Evaluate contemporary theories for practice implications
4. Integrate philosophy, science, and law into the development of a framework for nursing praxis.
1. Practice Observation Paper (Appendix A)
2. Course Discussion Participation (Appendix C)
3. Syllabus quiz
64 and lower
Must be formatted using APA and submitted through the Assignment function of Blackboard
Course Calendar (Due dates are also on online calendar)
Initial Posting Due
Response Posting Due
Introduction & Course Overview
Syllabus Quiz due Jan 21
Relationship between Philosophy & Nursing Practice
Practice Observation Paper Part I due Jan 28
Theory: Definition, Elements
History of Theory’s Contribution to the Discipline of Nursing
Revision – Practice Observation Paper Part I due Feb 11
Conceptual Models & Frameworks
Selected Theories Applied to Nursing
Practice Observation Paper Parts I and II due Mar 17
March 19, 2012 by 1600 Last day to drop with a “W”
Petition for Course Drop
April 5th through 8th Easter Break
Practice Observation Paper Parts I, II and III due Apr 7
Values, Beliefs & Assumptions in Nursing Practice
Practice Observation Paper FINAL Parts I through IV due Apr 28
N.B. All assignments and Postings are due by 1700 on the due date.
Alligood, M.R. & Tomey, A.M. (2010). Nursing theory: Utilization & application (5th Ed.). St. Louis, Missouri: C.V. Mosby.
American Psychological Association (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th Ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Chinn, P. & Kramer, M. (2011). Integrated knowledge development in nursing (8th Ed.). St. Louis: C.V. Mosby.