Students will be able to identify the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
1. To introduce students to basic information about physical fitness and health.
2. To help students become familiar with the seven dimensions of wellness.
3. To give students an understanding of their own physical fitness and how they might be able to alter their overall health status.
1. Labs- Labs will be due by the beginning of the next class and will be graded on a 10-point scale. Some of our laboratories will include physical activities that must be completed during the assigned class-no make up labs will be accepted.
2. Exercise Logs- Each student will create a physical activity log that will document what exercise or physical activity they participated in each week of the semester. This log is required. Blank logs will not be accepted. Each completed log will be worth 5 points; there will be a total of 12 logs.
3. Group project- There will be one group project assigned in which each group will be given a topic to research. Each group will present their topic to the class.
4. Final- There will be a comprehensive final. I will give a study guide for the test. The test will cover all lectures, including the group presentations.
Total Available Points
A ≥180 points
B 160-179 points
C 140-159 points
D 120-139 points
F <120 points
Students are expected to attend class. Each student is allowed 1 unauthorized absence (as per the MSU student handbook) after which 10 points will be deducted from the student’s final grade for each additional absence. Absences should be brought to the instructor’s attention before class is missed whenever possible. Missed lectures are the responsibility of the student. NO make-up exams will be given unless legitimate extenuating circumstances exist.
Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities:
The instructor will modify the course to meet the specific needs of individuals according to the Individuals with Disabilities Act. These accommodations will be made on an individual basis once the student has discussed the disability with the instructor. Every attempt will be made to make appropriate modifications to the course.
Health Insurance Recommendation
Participation in this course may lead to accidents. All students are strongly encouraged to have health insurance coverage. Information is available through the Midwestern State University Student Health Center. http://healthcenter.mwsu.edu/