1. Write thesis-based essays that provide strong support and specific details.
2. Engage in a writing process that includes invention, drafting, and revision.
3. Demonstrate proficient use of Standard Written English.
4. Find, evaluate, and synthesize credible sources in support of a reseach paper.
5. Document sources responsibly and follow a designated style guide.
4 in-class papers (5%, 5%, 10%, 10%)
4 out-of-class papers (15%, 15%, 20%, 20%)
A = 90-100
B = 80-89
C = 70-79
D = 60-69
F = 59 and below
All papers must adhere to the Modern Language Association's guidelines for style and format.
The four out-of-class papers are due at the beginning of class (11:00 a.m.) on the days specified on the course calendar (copy attached). Late papers turned in within 24 hours of this time will be penalized one letter grade. Papers more than 24 hours late will not be accepted.
Attendance is essential for success in this course. In every class we will cover material that will be directly relevant to the papers you are writing. If you must miss a class, let me know ahead of time (email or voicemail) and take full responsibility for all material covered in the class that you miss, including class discussion. Class begins promptly at 11:00.