TR 2:00-3:20 P
Class members will be working to develop the skills necessary effectively to teach university-level composition.
Additional information about department objectives can be found on the department webpage, http://libarts.mwsu.edu/english/index.asp.
As a formal class, we will meet for only part the semester. After that time, you will continue with your working in the Writing Center (or other assigned tasks) and team-teaching in ENGL 1113 or 1123. We will be meeting regularly, as well, to discuss teaching experiences.
Working with the assigned text readings,
1. Make an appointment and check in with instructor about midterm: Bring general questions, reactions, as well as your latest thinking about what you believe will be your style as a teacher--or paper problems and early drafts.
2. Compose, polish, an eight-page personal (“I-voice”) “Comp Tale” that follows the following general format:
-- A narrative of about four pages, after the fashion of the text.
--A commentary of about equal length in which you summarize the key issues that your tale engaged.
The final mark will be created from these factors:
1. Performance on the above written assignment (50%).
2. Participation in daily 5023 discussions (30%).
3. Satisfactory attendance and performance in mentored section of 1113 or 1123 (20%).
In this class, the following numerical equivalents for final grades are used: A = 100-90%; B = 89-80%; C = 79-70%; D = 69-60%; F = 59-0%.
Written work will be submitted in MLA format.
Late work cannot be accepted, without arrangement with instructor.
Class members will be expected to attend prepared to discuss the day’s assignment. All planned cuts need to be arranged in advance.