Class Meets on Tuesday & Thursday
Section 205 - 8:00 - 9:20 a.m.
Section 206 - 2:00 - 3:20 p.m.
* Write thesis-based essays that provide strong support and specific details.
* Engage in a writing process that includes invention, drafting, and revision.
* Demonstrate critical and creative thinking about a timely issue or debatable topic.
* Demonstrate proficient use of (SWE) Standard Written English.
Assignments % of Grade
10 quizzes, homework, attendance & participation 20
4 Writing Assignments with revisions 40
Final Grammar Test 20
Mid-Term/Final Essay Exam 20
Grading scale can be found in MWSU's 2012-2014 catalog.
Papers are graded A-F. See MWSU's catalog or my syllabus for further explanation.
Each writing assignment includes prewriting or brainstorming, outlining, drafting, and revising. Follow MLA formatrting, including these conventions:
* Use double-spacing and a Times Roman size 12 font
* include in the upper left-hand corner your name, course and section number, date, and both the name and version of the assignment (draft revision)
* for additional pages, include your last name and page number in the upper right-hand corner
* I WILL NOT GRADE PAPERS NOT DONE IN MLA FORMAT!
* Rough drafts must also be turned in with revisons. No drafts - no grade!
Late papers are not accepted unless you have prior arrangements with me. Several in-class writings and weekly quizzes are required to complete this course. If you miss one of these sessions, you cannot make up quizzes or in-class work. If you miss a test, contact me before the following class to arrange to make up the work. Verifiable emergencies are a different matter, of course.
Attendance is required and includes arriving on time, being prepared with the day's assignments in class discussions. Excessive absences (More than 3) will fail you. 4 absences: failing.
If you have more than 4 absences (the equivalent of 2 weeks of class), excused or not, you will fail the class. Please don't feel you have to explain or justify any absences to me; I respect your privacy, but you must accept the consequences. DO NOT come to class unprepared even if following an absence! If you come to class unprepared, I will dismis you, and you will be counted absent. Tardies count as well - for every two = 1 absence. It is YOUR responsibilty, however, to seek me out to get your work. I will not come to you or remind you.
NOTE: MSU policy states that "any student with credit for more than 90 semester hours who enrolls in and subsequently withdraws from or is withdrawn from ENGL 2113 will not be allowed to enroll in any course except ENGL 2113 until the Writing Proficiency Requirement is met.
All cell phones and other electronic devices must be silenced and put away during class. Using them in class is prohibited and you will be asked to leave if you use them. If using them during a test, etc., your paper/test/etc. will be taken up and a zero applied. Disruptive behavior, which prevents me from teaching and your peers from learning, is grounds for being asked to leave the room and being counted absent.
Course syllabus and class schedule will provide more detailed information.