The candidate will meet the following Texas Educator Standards for beginning special education teacher and are aligned with Council for Exceptional Children CEC knowledge and skills standards for all beginning Special Education Teachers of Candidates in Individualized General Curriculums as they apply to students with emotional and/or behavioral disorders (EBD). In addition relevant educational diagnostician standards will be addressed.
1. Textbook/Lecture Exams (25%) : This textbook is a comprehensive collection of evidence-based practices. This book should be kept as a valuable addition to your professional library. The goal is for you is a) learn the information in this book, b) apply the information, and c) be familiar enough with this text in order to use it in the future as a diagnostician. You can expect a major section of midterm and final coming from the book.
2. FBA and BIP: Using a real student, Ch. 5 and textbook, and www.pbis.org, conduct a full FBA and Behavior Intervention plan. (I will provide more details and expectations). 25% of your grade. You will complete 2 total for the course. You will be expected to collaborate on one if you choose. Due 10/19
3. Article Reviews (5) (15%) Due 9/21; 11/16
4. Discussion Activities via WebCt (4) (10%)
5. Evidence-based Toolbox (10%) (Due 11/30)
6. BASC-2 Assessment (2); Motivation Assessment Scales, Data Collection Activity. 15% Due TBA
Must use Word 2003 or 2007
Papers will not be accepted late unless prior arrangements have been made with instructor.
Absences during the term should be minimal. As a beginning professional, you are expected to be present and on time, as if you were employed. Professional teachers are dependable, reliable, and responsible. Therefore, candidates are expected to be on time and in attendance at every class. Tardiness, leaving early, and absences are considered evidence of lack of dependability and are taken seriously.
If you are absent, your grade will be reduced.Penalties for being absent:
1st Absence – no penalty.
2nd Absence – 3% deducted from your final grade average
3rd Absence – additional 5% is deducted from your final grade average (total of 8%)
More than 3 absences – additional 10% is deducted from your final grade average for each absence beyond the first 3.
Other Class Policies