Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
WHAT IS A STUDENT EDUCATIONAL RECORD?
FERPA applies to the education records of persons who are or have been in attendance.
Almost all information provided by a student to the university for use in the educational process is considered a student educational record:
The storage media in which you find this information does not matter. Student educational records may be:
- personal information
- enrollment records
FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for admission who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not attend MSU.
- a document in the registrar's office
- a computer printout in your office
- a class list on your desk
- a computer display screen
- notes you have taken during an advisement session