TEXAS SUCCESS INITIATIVE REQUIREMENTS FOR DISTANCE EDUCATION STUDENTS RESIDING OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) program requirements must be fulfilled by all undergraduate students, including distance education students residing outside of the state of Texas, unless they are exempt from this requirement (see exemptions listed below). The requirements should be completed prior to enrolling; however, if time does not permit, and only internet courses are being taken, then a waiver may be granted while such testing arrangements are being made.
As part of the Texas Success Initiative, all students are required to take the TSI Assessment unless exempt by the criteria below. The basic skills tested are reading, writing and mathematics. The writing component includes an essay. Students who fail a section of the TSI Assessment are required to enroll in developmental courses in that area.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has determined that distance education students residing outside of the state of Texas, and taking internet courses only, may enroll in the distance education program temporarily without having taken the TSI Assessment; but they should test as soon as possible, and they will not receive a degree until all TSI requirements have been completed. If you are not exempt, you must have completed all TSI requirements by the deadline for filing for graduation for the term in which you will graduate, to avoid delay in graduation.
If you believe you meet any of the criteria that would exempt you from a section or all of TSI requirements, please have transcripts or test score documentation forwarded as soon as possible.
1. Students with ACT composite score of 23 or higher, with individual math and/or English scores of no less than 19 are TSI exempt. ACT scores can be no more than five years old. (Meeting the composite and English scores will exempt students from both the reading and writing sections of TSI.) Students are responsible for taking the TSI Assessment in areas from which they are not exempt.
2. Students with SAT combined score of 1070 or higher, with 500 math and/or reading are TSI exempt. SAT scores can be no more than five years old. Residual SAT cannot be used for TSI exemption. (Meeting the combined and reading scores will exempt students from both the reading and writing sections of TSI.) Students are responsible for taking the TSI Assessment in areas from which they are not exempt.
3. Students with eleventh grade exit-level TAKS scores of 2200 or higher on math and/or 2200 or higher in English/Language Arts, with a written composition rating of 3 or higher. TAKS scores can be no more than five years old. (The TAKS is a test given in Texas Public High Schools since Spring 2004.) [Note: The English Language Arts and written composition sections must be met together -- if neither or only area is met, student must take both the reading and writing sections of the TSI Assessment.]
4. STAAR Algebra II, English III reading, and/or English III writing at the Final Recommended Level II performance standard. (For Algebra II, this is a score of at least 4000. For English III reading and writing, this is a score of at least 2000.) STAAR scores can be no more than five years old. (The STAAR is a test given in Texas Public High Schools.) Students are responsible for taking the TSI Assessment in areas from which they are not exempt.
5. Students who have an associate or bachelor's degree earned from an accredited college or university.
6. Military Service:
(a) Students who are serving in the state of Texas as active duty members of the Armed Forces of the United States are TSI exempt. Official documentation of active duty status for the enrollment period is required. Students must file a Verification of Active Duty form each semester which can be obtained in the Base Education Office.
(b) Students who are on active duty in the Texas National Guard are TSI exempt. A verification letter from the Unit Administrator, is required each semester.
(c) Students who are members of a reserve component of the armed forces for at least 3 years preceding enrollment are TSI exempt. A verification letter from the Unit Administrator, is required each semester.
(d) Students who on or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the U.S. armed forces, Texas National Guard, or member of reserve component are TSI exempt. A copy of the DD214 form showing this status is required.
7. Students who are transferring to MSU from a private or out-of-state accredited, college or university may meet sections of the Texas Success Initiative based on a grade of C or better in courses that are equivalent to the following courses at MSU:
ENGL 1113, 1123 - Rhetoric & Composition
ECON 1333, 2333, 2433 - General, Macro, or Micro Economics
ENGL Literature (American, British, World)
ENGL 1113, 1123 - Rhetoric & Composition
HIST 1133, 1233 - United States History
HIST 1333, 1433 - Western Civilization
POLS 1333, 1433 - American Government
PSYC 1103 - General Psychology
SOCL 1133 - Introduction to Sociology
MATH 1053 - Contemporary Math
MATH 1113 - Concepts of Algebra
MATH 1203 - Math Analysis for Business
MATH 1233 - College Algebra
MATH 1433 - Trigonometry
MATH 1534 - Precalculus
Or courses for which these are prerequisites.
*Some international courses may not meet these requirements. The International Services Office will inform you of your TSI status once your transcripts have been evaluated.
If you believe you meet one of the exemptions, be sure that the appropriate test scores/transcripts are submitted to MSU as soon as possible.
Students previously considered TASP or TSI exempt/complete from another Texas state institution will not have to meet TSI requirements.
If you do not meet one of the above exemptions, the Texas Success Initiative requirement can be completed in the following ways:
Taking and passing the required sections of the TSI Assessment. You can choose to travel to MSU (or any other Texas public college offering the TSI Assessment and agreeing to mail MSU your official scores), or you can take it in your local area with an approved proctor. Contact the MSU Office of Testing at (940) 397-4676 if you would like to schedule the TSI Assessment at a test site in your area. Contact the Registrar's Office at (940) 397-4320, if you have questions regarding the score requirements or for other TSI questions. You only need to test in sections from which you are not exempt. For example, if you have completed the reading and writing section via a grade of C or better in the equivalent to our ENGL 1113 or 1123 class, you would only be required to take a test in the remaining area (math). The cost of the TSI Assessment is $10 per section, or $29 for all three.
Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA): Students who must take the TSI Assessment are first required to complete the online Pre-Assessment Activity. Before taking the PAA, make sure you know your TSI status and if you are required to test and for which sections. When ready to take the PAA, open either a Firefox or Google Chrome brower and go to: https://secure.mwsu.edu/registrar/paa/slides.asp (For formatting purposes, it is important to only use the web browser of Firefox or Google Chrome.) The PAA is required prior to taking the TSI Assessment.
- The other way to meet TSI requirements is by meeting exemption #7 above. If you transfer in certain coursework with a grade of C or better from a private or out-of-state college for the TSI sections in which you are needing to meet, this could take the place of testing. Prior to enrolling, please check with MSU for the transferability of courses. Once the course is complete, request the college mail MSU an official copy of your transcript for transfer evaluation and TSI completion.
As a distance education student, it is very important that you acknowledge your understanding of the Texas Success Initiative requirements; therefore, if you are not TSI complete or exempt in all areas, you are required to sign and return a copy of this page prior to enrollment. You may print this page from the web, sign and return it to:
|Midwestern State University|
|Office of the Registrar|
|3410 Taft Boulevard|
|Wichita Falls, TX 76308-2099|
Mustangs ID Number
Name – please print
NOTE: The Texas Success Initiative requirements are subject to change by actions of the Texas Legislature.